It’s Friday night and this is our last night (for now) in London. Tomorrow we hire a car and drive to Oxford. Here is a list of things I have done in London:
- A walk through Mayfair
- Fine art auctions at Sotheby’s, Christies King Street and Christies South Kensington
- Research for my writing
- Bought a Paddington Bear from Paddington Station
- Explored Paddington (where we’re staying)
- Had dinner overlooking Hyde Park
- A walk down Old Bond Street
- A walk around Bloomsbury and the University of London
- A walk to Marble Arch
- The British Museum – spectacular
- Bought two wedding rings at Hatton Garden
- Theatre: Table Manners, The Mousetrap (I was late, so I know whodunnit but not what they did!), A Little Night Music, Twelfth Night
- A carol service at the Temple Church (of the Knights Templar…) – beautiful
- Kings College Choir at the Royal Albert Hall – magical
- The National Gallery
- The Courtauld Gallery
- The Tate Modern and the Rothko exhibition
- Trafalgar Square and the carolers in front of the giant Christmas tree
- Lunch at St James Restaurant on the fourth floor of Fortnum and Mason in Piccadilly
- Lunch on the seventh floor of the Tate Modern overlooking St Pauls Cathedral
- Visited my Great Auntie Elsie (she’s 89 and has recently fought off burglars by hitting them over the head with her handbag)
- Met my distant cousin Valerie – we’ve been discussing our family’s genealogy over the internet for a while now
- A walk through Kew and along the Thames
- Had a pint at the Lillie Langtry
- Going on a guided walk through the Inns of Court (London’s legal district)
- St Paul’s Cathedral
- The London Eye – it’s very high up!
- Big Ben, Houses of Parliament, Westminster Cathedral
- Cologne Christmas Market and German Sausages in Southwark
- Wrote postcards
- Took Mark to the doctor with a bout of bronchitis (he’s on the mend now)
- The Victoria and Albert Museum – I likes all the textiles (that’s a typo but me likes it!)
- Christmas shopping at Harrods – avoid on the second last Saturday before Christmas!
- A walk through St James and the Horse Guards Parade
- Genealogical walks tracing my ancestors: Clerkenwell, St Pancras, Enfield Town, Hackney, Shoreditch, Old Street
- A (long) walk along the Regent’s Canal
- Afternoon tea at the Chancery Court Hotel
- Westminster Register Office to give our notice of Intention to Form a Civil Partnership (January 3 is the big day – I now have to become a Bridezilla!)
- Platform 9 3/4 at Kings Cross Station – they even have a luggage trolley cemented halfway into the wall!
There’s also a long list forming of things I didn’t have time to do!
Here’s a few more pics:
A very old cemetery in the centre of London called Bunhill Fields. Ancestors of mine are buried here.
Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe!
The Temple Chrurch.
I know whodunnit!
Gentleman’s row in Enfield Town. I’d love to live there! I think it would suit me.
Forty Hall – its a listed Jacobean building in Enfield where my parents come from (they come from Enfield, not Forty Hall!). They had a special display of The Lion the Witch and the Wardobe in all the rooms. Here’s Mrs Beaver! Is she quilting?